Since I've started at Autonomy, the glory days of hip hop and rap have hippity hopped back from a memory long forgotten. Does anyone remember the jam, "Return of the Mack" by Craig Mack? If you don't, don't worry about it. I'll forgive you. Someday.
In honor of our music theme, I'm dedicating this food post to you, Craig Mack. This my shot out to: Return of the Mac...N Cheese.
1 Spicy Chicken Sausage, chopped
2 tbs minced shallots
1 cup Gruyere Cheese
1.5 cups Fontina Cheese
1. 5 cups Sharp Cheddar Cheese
2 tbs Butter
1 quart Heavy Cream
1.5-2 tbs of flour
1. In a medium-large sauce pan, melt butter over medium heat add minced shallots
2. Cook until soft. Add sausage and cook for 3-5 minutes.
3. Add cream and flour.
3. Mix in cooked penne.
4. In baking dish, butter the bottom and pour in penne inserting layers of cheese in between.
5. Place in preheated oven at 400*. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until cheese is melted.
If you're like me, you'll include an extra cup or two of cheese. Nothing like clogging up the pipes.