Sunday, May 3, 2009

Rainy Days

Rainy days make me want to stay in, be lazy and eat all day. As I sit here and stare out my window and into my garden I wonder, 'what shall I eat next?'. Currently growing in my garden are tomatoes, red bell peppers, squash and some herbs. I'm hoping by mid-fall they'll be ready for the picking, but who knows. This is my second attempt in harvesting vegetables. Last year was a complete failure. Like the moron that I am, I germinated and planted the seeds late last Fall. Not brilliant. Oh well, live and learn.

As I digress, tiny speckles of water fall from the sky. For lunch (wishing I had my garden vegetables to include) I made a grilled cheese sandwich with sauted onions and summer squash hugged by Jarlsberg and aged cheddar. Earlier in the day--pre-lunch I made homemade spicy hummus (I guess you could say it was brunch as it is Sunday...but according to my girlfriend Kimberly 'brunch' is typically noon or one, which I have seemed to mistake as 9-10 am one early morning).

Grilled Cheese Recipe

1 onion (sliced)
3 cloves garlic (minced)
2 small squash (chopped)
2-3 tbs butter
cheddar & jarlsberg cheese
1 tomato (sliced)
1 tbs oregano
1 lemon
salt and pepper to taste
fresh french bread

1. slice bread and lightly butter top and bottom
2. add cheeses and sliced tomato sprinkle salt and pepper put in pre-heated oven at 400*
3. in pan add butter, garlic and onion--cook until transparent
4. include squash and cook on medium for 8-10 mins
5. cook on high for 5 mins or until onions brown, add lemon and oregano
6. place vege mix on top of the toasted cheese bread and enjoy!

Once again I would have had a picture of the sandwich but right now there is less than a bite left on Steve's plate; half of it holds on for dear life on his face. I consider taking his photo, but as he begins to snore I decide not to.

1 comment:

  1. Love the Steve visual! I can actually see it in my mind! What a lively adaptation of an old family favorite, grilled cheese. Comfort food at its comfyest!