Monday, April 27, 2009

Spicy Beef Empanadas


As I am about to blog about my latest recipe, I can't help but feel that it's strangely ironic that my following dish will relate to Mexico. With Mexico at the epicenter of this global outbreak believe me when I say that my intended post of Mexican spicy beef empanadas is not deliberately in lieu of all this hysteria. Quite coincidental as I do NOT make Mexican dishes that often.

ANYWHO, this simple small bite is widely adapted throughout many cultures with their own take on a meat and vegetable filled pastry i.e. Indian/Pakistani food and Samosas. Per request, I helped a girlfriend make them for her potluck at work to take place later this week. We had made the the pastry dough beforehand, but will share the filling recipe as it is just as delicious to eat it on its own.

Ingredients:
- 1lb ground beef
- 1-2 potatos (diced)
- 1 green onion (diced)
- 1/4 cup of olives
- 1 cup of raisins
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1-2 tbs of cumin
- 1 tbs paprika
- 1 teaspoon spicy chili oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1tbs evoo
- 2 cups beef broth

Directions:

1. Cook ground beef thoroughly
2. Add Evoo
3. Include onions, garlic and potatos. Cook for 10 mins
5. Add 1 cup of beef broth. Cook for another 10 mins on high. Stir occasionally
4. Throw in all seasoning + spicy chili oil. Stir.
5. Add raisins and olives. Cook for 5 mins and add remainder of beef broth.
6. Cook for another 10mins. Set to medium heat. Add salt and pepper to desire taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment