Saturday, April 11, 2009

Easter Dinner



Yesterday was Easter (Hoppy Belated). Steve and I decided on making our Easter dinner on Saturday rather than yesterday and, as always veering from anything customary, I went with turkey rather than ham. To say the least, our Easter dinner was more like Thanksgiving dinner. So much for tradition....

Here's my thing. I am not a huge fan of packaged foods. Everything I make is generally made out of scratch. Believe me, you will not find anything frozen in our freezer unless it's ice cubes, ice cream bars and meats. So When I told Steve that I would make stuffing he looked at me as if I had gone mad. "How hard can it be?".....

Here was our menu:
honey glazed turkey
stuffing with raisins and toasted walnuts (which is NOT an easy task)
creamy mashed potatoes
seasoned brussel sprouts with a hint of lemon
corn
homemade gravy

This was the first time I've ever made stuffing and by Zeus was it tricky, but well worth it.

Ingredients:
day old french bread
butter
raisins
walnuts
green granny apple
turkey stock
onion
celery
parsley

Directions:
1. toast walnuts in a pan and crush in mortar or chop
2. cut french bread into cubes of edible size, toast if the bread is not dried out
3. meanwhile sautee chopped celery and onions in 3-4 tbs. of butter
4. in large pot melt 4 tbs. of butter and throw in bread to brown on one side
5. add celery and onion to bread--cook for 10 mins then add chopped apples, parsley, walnuts and raisins
6. add 1-2 cups of stock and cook for 30-40 mins making sure that it doesn't stick to bottom of pot

I love stuffing.




1 comment:

  1. Guess what?! We, too, had turkey for Easter Dinner. And, stuffing. Ours, however, had more of a German flair. Now that I am analyzing our menus, recipes and traditions, I realize that I grew up surrounded by German food. My father’s side is firmly Irish and my mother’s side is Pennsylvania-Dutch (German). Since I learned to cook mostly from my mother’s side – well, I guess I cook mostly German food. Oh, for Easter we also had saur kraut and kielbasa – how German/Polish is that, HUH????? I can’t wait to try Rochelle’s stuffing recipe. Cathy

    ReplyDelete