Thursday, April 9, 2009

Rolls Rolls Rolls

Spring Rolls. Egg Rolls. Lumpia (what?).

This is a food recipe sure to please anyone. The fun aspect about rolls is that they're are bite size and finger friendly. I'm positive 9 out of 10 of you know what spring rolls and egg rolls are and which culture they're associated with-- if not, listen closely....Vietnamese spring rolls and Chinese egg rolls. There , now you have it. Here's the curve ball, lumpia. Heard of those? NO? That hurts...right here (pointing to heart). Seriously, being part Filipino lumpia's are as dear to us as apple pie is to Americans. Imagine a delicate wrap filled with meat and spices...fried.

Roll recipes are definitely my favorite, not to mention quick sides or in my case, main dish to devour. Are you ready to make 'em? Here we go:

Vietnamese Spring Rolls
* Note: they are fresh, not fried


Ingredients:
shrimp
lettuce
basil
bean sprouts
rice vermicelli
rice wrapper (8.5 in diameter)

Directions:
1. boil shrimp until cooked and sliver in half
2. boil noodles for 10 mins, drain and put to side
3. wash lettuce and basil thoroughly
4. fill bowl with hot water and dip one rice wrapper into bowl and lay on a flat work table
5. place 4 shrimp halves in center of wrap, lay lettuce leaf on top, basil, bean sprout then noodles (all a desired amount of each)
6. roll with delicacy and enjoy

**generally dipped in a peanut sauce or fish sauce concoction
although, I like it with red chili paste with a little sweet vietnamese dipping sauce


I'm going to skip the Chinese egg rolls, unless requested let's move on to lumpias.

Filipino Lumpia




Ingredients:
1 pound of pork
2 finely chopped carrots
1 large onion
1 egg
1 cup finely diced green onion
3 cloves of garlic
lumpia wrappers

Directions:
1. combine all ingredients in a large bowl
2. place (desired amount) filling onto a single wrap
3. roll and fry

** typically I dip it in a onion/chili vinegar concoction, but you can enjoy as is.


Let me know if this works out for you.

Happy Easter!

6 comments:

  1. Cathy --

    In response to your Vietnamese spring roll inquiry from my knowledge the transparent wrapper is required as the "spring" roll indicates fresh and not fried. If there were to be a substitution I would say a rice paper wrapper which would require frying. In addition, I would suggest leaving out the lettuce in this recipe as frying lettuce just doesn't seem right. Here is a an egg roll recipe for your cooking pleasure:

    Ingredients:
    egg roll wraps
    1 pound ground pork
    1 teaspoon chopped fresh ginger
    3 garlic cloves
    chopped green onion
    shredded carrots
    shredded cabbage
    bean sprouts
    teaspoon sugar
    teaspoon salt
    1/4 soy sauce
    1 egg

    Directions:
    1. cook pork, ginger and garlic thoroughly in sesame oil
    2. add sugar, salt and soy sauce
    3. in a bowl mix shredded carrots, cabbage, bean sprouts and green onion then add meat mixture
    4. place filling onto single wrap
    5. roll and fry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now we're cookin'!! I'll give it a try. As you know, I am in the cooking remedial class ... Do I need a deep fryer for this? I love egg rolls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rochelle;
    I really like your Vietnamese Spring Rolls, I sort of fried mine. Frying is not the right word, I just sauteed them in Peanut oil until they have a golden brown color all around. It does not take long for that to obtain. Don't worry about possible fried lettuce, it will not happen.
    For the sauce, I used a store bought sauce,Spring Roll Sauce( Brand Maesri) Thai.

    Thanks for sharing.
    Moni

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course and thanks for reading, mama! Let me know if you have any ideas or requests. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rochelle,
    You can also try ground "chicken" and/or ground "shrimp". Otherwise, you got that right for the LUMPIA's....love lumpia's!!!!

    How about that recipe that you and Steve made for us one Christmas at Burlingame (just after you came back from Thailand). I would love to make it here in at home in Utah.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Which one is that? I can't remember. Haha (short term memory)

    ReplyDelete