Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Chinese Lettuce Wraps

It may sound barbaric, but I'm a HUGE fan of eating with my hands. Recently we had gone to Rasselas, an Ethiopian restaurant down in the Fillmore district and instantly I fell right at home. The waitress approached our table with the exotic dishes and notioned that our hands/fingers were the utensils..needless to say, my face lite up! Using the "pancake" as the vehicle in scooping up sauteed vegetable medleys, I found myself reminiscing of other cuisines/dishes/recipes that I could devour with unconventional pleasure.

Chinese lettuce wraps are by far an easy recipe with an international swing. Quick and healthy, this recipe will let you walk on the wild side of getting down and dirty with your food.

Ingredients:
1-2lbs of ground beef/pork/turkey (I usually cook with ground turkey as it is the leanest of all meats)
1 stalk of celery - finely chopped
1 carrot - finely chopped
1 chopped red bell pepper
1 onion - chopped
3-4 cloves of garlic - chopped
1 small can of chopped water chestnuts
1 cup of chopped green onion
Sesame oil
3 tbs of oyster sauce
1 tbs of sugar
1 head of iceberg lettuce

Directions:
1. Cook ground meat thoroughly
2. Add 2tbs. sesame oil and throw in garlic and onion --cook onions until translucent
3. Add and mix in oyster sauce
3. Add celery, carrot, water chestnuts, bell pepper and green onion
4. Cook for 7-10 mins, mix in sugar
5. Cook for another 5 mins

As for the lettuce, wash, separate leaves and set aside.

How to eat:
- take a leaf of lettuce
- scoop hefty amount of meat into lettuce
- wrap and devour


mmmm






3 comments:

  1. Oh boy, oh boy!! I was waiting for that one. Roy and I fondly remember the lettuce wraps you made for us while visiting. It has a wonderful combination of textures, crunchy lettuce outside and delicious filling inside. This is terrific! I highly recommend it. cdb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cathy. I thought of you when I wrote this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made these Chinese Lettuce Wraps for dinner Saturday night and they were soooo good! Here are some thoughts from your remedial cooking friend. First, I used a wok ONLY because you showed me how to cook these in person. Otherwise I might not have known this. If your audience isn't cooking-savvy (unlike me of course!) you might have to spell things out for us. And, I thought of something on my own -- I grated the carrots rather than chopping them. It was easier to do and they cooked up faster. The concoction was colorful and tasty. I even took a picture of it! cdb

    ReplyDelete