Friday, April 24, 2009

Small Plates

Small plates is the quintessential cuisine on my dinner table. As a mongrel of food consumption I like to have options (at some point I will need to get into the subject of Dim Sum...be forewarn: this may take up a good portion of your day). Although small plates take a bit more patience, time and multitasking I can assure you it's ALL worth it. (Grab a full glass of red wine and you're more than ready to tackle this endeavor)

My girlfriend Zoe was generously helpful in my time of kitchen anarchy. Thanks beauty!

On this evenings menu:

- gambas al ajillo
- spanakopitas (spankies as I like to call them)
- meatballs made with ground turkey
- basil marinara sauce (for the meatballs)

The greatest thing about small plates, for me anyway, is the simplicity of the ingredients. I truly believe that the most creative and delicious samplings results from the combination of basic ingredients. To give you an estimated time of prep + cooking, I believe it came down to 60mins...for ALL of the small plates.

Gambas al ajillo (Shrimp in garlic)

Ingredients:

20 shrimp
5 cloves of fresh garlic - minced (usually put 8 to 10 - I know. Let's not talk about it)
tbs paprika
tbs cayenne pepper
1 cup of extra virgin olive oil
lemon
salt
fresh baguette bread (La Boulange is the best)

Directions:

1. In a skillet use a tbs from the 1 cup EVOO to sautee garlic
2. After a minute or two add remainder of oil throw in shrimp, paprika and cayenne pepper
3. Cook shrimps until salmon colored then add lemon and 1.5 tsps of salt for flavor
4. Enjoy with pieces of sliced baguette bread (don't be shy to dip your bread in the oil, soaking it up and scooping in some garlic--watch out Dracula!)


Spanakopita (Greek Spinach Pies)
I make a reconstructed version of this recipe. Among the very many details I typically use a pastry puff for the delicacy of this dough.

Ingredients:
- Frozen pastry puff (okay, I know I said I'm an advocate of making it out of scratch, but cut me some slack here)
- 1 1/2 cup of feta
- 1 cup ricotta
- 1 egg
- 1 bunch green onion (choppped)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1.5 lbs of spinach
- 1 shallot (chopped)
- 3 tbs extra virgin olive oil (evoo)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)

Directions:
1. In pan add the evoo and sautee garlic, onion, shallots and spinach on medium heat
2. In a separate bowl add feta, ricota, egg, and green onion (mix well)
3. Once garlic, onion, shallots and spinach are cooked (let stand for 10 mins to cool)
4. On work bench lay pastry puff and roll out with bakers roll
5. Evenly roll so pastry puff can be cut into 9 evenly squared pieces
6. Combine cheese mix with spinach sautee -- mix well
7. Scoop a small amount and place onto each evenly squared pastry puff (fold over and repeat)
8. Stick in preheated 400* oven for 23-25 mins


Turkey meatballs with basil marinara sauce

Ingredients:
(meat portion)

- 1lb ground turkey
- 1 chopped onion
- 4 minced fresh garlic
- 1/4 cup basil
- 1/4 parsley & cilantro
- 2 tbs of pepper
- salt to taste
- 1 egg

1. Mix all ingredient in bowl

- 1 cup of panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 1/2 cup of bread crumbs
(Mix together)

1. Roll meat into balls (half the size of golf balls)
2. Roll in bread crumb mixture
3. Fry in evoo until cooked thoroughly

Basil Marinara Sauce

Ingredients:
- 1 minced shallot
- 5 minced garlic cloves
- 1 minced onion
- 3 chopped tomotos
- 1 tbs of basil
- 1 tbs oregano
- salt to taste
- 3 tbs evoo
- 1 cup of plain marinara sauce

1. Add evoo into medium pot, add shallot garlic and onion
2. Once transparent add tomatos. Cook for 10 mins
3. Add basil, oregano and salt
4. Cook on high for another 10mins. - **STIRRING FREQUENTLY
5. Put on medium heat and cook for another 5
6. Add marinara sauce and cook for additional 10-12 mins -- Stirring frequently

I should have take a picture of the presentation to give you an idea, but at that point all I wanted to do was eat. I'm pictureless for now, until next time.

Actually, here's a photo of my Dining Out For Life fundraiser--to take place next Thursday, April 30th. 25% of all food and beverage sales go to the Stop AIDS Foundation. It's a great cause in which I truly support. This Saturday is another benefit for the AIDS Foundation in which I get to check out some Fags in Drags--and I mean that literally. Performing at the Castro Theatre it's sure to be one heck of a hootinanny show.














2 comments: